Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Before I Was Born They Was Talking ’Bout The Game

Name: Jayceon Terrell Taylor
Birthplace: Compton, California
Birth date: November 29, 1979
Occupation: "Change of Heart" contestant-turned gangster-turned rapper

I started this post a while ago but thought today would be the appropriate day to actually publish. This is more or less an opinion piece (of course with supporting data) on The Game's career. (I'll include a album review a little later!) For a relative new comer with only 4 years (give or take) in The Game (no pun intended) he's released a number of singles that have been chart topping, trend setting, rap reviving, party jumping, gang banging, game day prepping, hits. (need I go on) Sidebar-I just want to take it back to 2004 hit single How We Do . I would have jumped up out of my sleep if someone road down my street blasting this song at 3am. Whether you believe the hardcore gangsta gimmick, this guy sells himself and his music. As we all know the industry has indefinitely changed. We are a generation of temps and by temps I mean temporary fans. (We favor one artist today and have another favorite tomorrow) Therefore I can't blame artists for going along with the gimmick(marketing) that allows them career longevity. I know he was a former Change of Heart contestant. But don't hard core rappers/gang bangers have changes of heart as well? (hehehe) Ok enough of the sarcasm. Below I've listed just a few career accolades
*BET Awards
2005, Best New Artist N
2005, Best Collaboration ("Hate It or Love It") w/ 50 Cent N
*Grammy Awards
2006, Best Rap Song ("Hate It or Love It") with 50 Cent N
2006, BestRapPer.By Duo/Group("Hate It or Love It") w/ 50Cent N
*MTV Video Music Awards
2005, Best Rap Video ("Hate It or Love It") w/ 50 Cent N
*Ozone Awards
2008, Best West Coast Rap Artist W
2007, Best West Coast Rap Album ("Doctor's Advocate")W

N=Nominated
W=Won

I'm sure it helps that I work for NBM, so I know exactly where to look for this information. See list of The Game albums below (note L.A.X. album release date was pushed back to 8.26.08)

Here's a screen shot from Billboard.com of some of The Game's music (Song, Chart, Peak position)
Of course I had to insert my opinion somewhere in this post, so I'll start right here. In the end we need to allow The Game to do his thing. He's definitely one of the best rappers in 2008 (no denying that), and he tells the story of an entire population that otherwise does not have a voice. If anything we should respect rappers for having the courage to speak on behalf of the people, no matter how gruesome or gory the details. I remember hearing my pastor equate rap music and CNN, saying Rap music is the CNN of the hood. It's true. I know this genre catches a lot of flack for the degradation of women, the idolizing of material items, violence, profanity, hatred (in some cases) and the list goes on. But deep down there is a message. And if you're patient and willing to hear our story (which most people aren't accustomed to doing), it's well worth the wait.
I'll leave you with a few lyrics from Game's Pain
Everybody’s first bootleg was Boyz ‘n the Hood
Whoever thought gangsta rap would make noise in the hood
When the cars ride by with the boomin’ system
Two door Mustang and the roof was missing


*** L.A.X in stores now

No comments: